Leadership education and development in higher education, as well as in industry, is fraught with grand impact claims and implicit assumptions of efficacy, but rarely does anyone evaluate these claims or test these assumptions. When any measurement occurs, it tends only to be at the level of subjective feedback (a.k.a., “smiley sheets”). One of the main reasons for the lack of impact measurement is that most people working in the leader development space simply don’t know how to go about measuring the outcomes of their programs.
This brief measurement specialist certification course is designed to equip you to develop evaluation systems capable of testing the impact of leader development programs in higher education and beyond. It is possible to determine whether a program helps people grow as leaders, and this course will help you learn to do just that.
- College/university faculty or staff who are interested in learning to measure the impact of leader development programs at their institution
- Graduate students in social science fields who want to learn to apply their research and statistical skills to the evaluation of leader development programs
- Human resource managers who wish to enhance their assessment portfolio in the realm of corporate leadership training
This course is designed like a graduate-level seminar, rather than an undergraduate-level lecture course. Thus, participants are expected to engage at a high level. You should (ideally) have completed at least two graduate-level courses in statistics and/or research design in an accredited graduate program in a social science field. We will not cover inferential statistics in this course, so it will be helpful if you have a little formal training in statistics and basic research design already. Participants who complete the course and receive a passing grade on the final project will earn a certificate of completion and a digital badge.
Fall 2023 Schedule
All modules are delivered in Standard English (U.S.) and will take place virtually.
- Module 1: Friday, September 15th, from 1:00-3:30 PM (CST)
- Module 2: Friday, September 22nd, from 1:00-3:30 PM (CST)
- Module 3: Friday, September 29th, from 1:00-3:30 PM (CST)
- Module 4: Friday, October 6th, from 1:00-3:30 PM (CST)
- Module 5: Friday, October 13th,from 1:00-3:30 PM (CST)
Participants in the course will read, analyze, reflect, discuss, and apply concepts each week, culminating in a final project in which they propose a measurement/evaluation plan for an actual leader development program at their own institution.
Tuition and Fees
- $190 for full-time graduate students
- $390 for full-time faculty or staff at consortium-member colleges or universities
- $490 for faculty or staff employed in an accredited college, university, or non-profit organization
- $1990 for anyone not currently employed or enrolled full-time in an accredited college or university
The above tuition rates do not include the cost of the required textbook, estimated at $25. Additional guidance on obtaining the textbook will be provided upon acceptance.
Submit Your Application
Deadline: Friday, August 25, 2023.
If you are interested in applying to this certification course for Fall 2023, your application must be submitted by August 25, 2023, and your full tuition payment must be received by September 1, 2023. This is a competitive program, and all applicants are not guaranteed admission. Admission will occur on a rolling basis until the class is full.
Are you interested in receiving updates about future cohorts for the measurement course? Complete the interest form below.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for questions about the course or to request a waiver of the graduate statistics requirement.