Apprentice coaches are Rice students or recent graduates who support The Doerr Institute's Synthesis Program in partnership with an ICF certified professional leadership coach. Apprentice coaches use their coaching, communication, and relationship-building skills to enhance the leadership capacity of students in their groups. To apply to become an Apprentice Coach, you must demonstrate a commitment to the Doerr Institute's mission and your own leader development, and meet the requirements below.
- Current Rice student or recent alumni
- Participated in Activation AND Synthesis or CoachRICE
- A commitment to a semester-long program
- A passion and interest for developing others' ability to lead
- Proficiency in scheduling and communication platforms (Outlook, Calendar, Google Drive/Docs, Zoom, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Attend a 90-minute semester kickoff training session
- Attend and support five (5) 90-minute group coaching sessions
- Partner with a professional leadership coach to prepare materials (slides, activities, resources) in advance for each session specific to the group's theme
- Send calendar invites and Zoom links (if virtual) for every meeting, including reminders at least 24 hours prior to each session
- Manage communication between coach and group participants (email, WhatsApp, Google Docs) as determined by the group
- Monitor student survey completion
- Maintain consistent communication with the lead professional coach and the Doerr staff team
- $300/semester for current Rice students
- $750/semester for alumni with an ICF credential
- Gain practice and experience in developing the leadership capacity of others
- An inside perspective of a globally recognized leadership development organization that is unique among U.S. universities
Are you interested?
Applications for the Spring 2023 semester close on January 20, 2023. All questions regarding the Apprentice Coach program may be directed to Janeen Antonelli, Assistant Director for Coaching, at Janeen.Antonelli@rice.edu.